I’m a little bit past the halfway point with my fall capsule wardrobe. Although things got off to somewhat rough start, I’ve gotten more used to the concept and am actually pretty into it. Getting dressed each day is a lot easier, for a couple of reasons.
For one thing, almost all of my clothes are in one small closet, in the bedroom, now. Before, I had dresses and skirts in one closet and my tops in a second small closet, in the hallway just outside the bedroom. The configuration made picking an outfit each morning tough. Now, all my off season clothes are in the second closet. I still find myself going towards it to pick something out every now and again, but then I remember that everything’s in the other closet.
Secondly, not having too much to choose from gets rid of decision fatigue. Depending on my activities for the day, I have between 3 and 7 bottoms to pick (2 jeans and 5 skirts), and something like 12 blouses. All the blouses pretty much go with all the skirts (with the exception of the telephone print skirt, which only goes with a few things), so I can pretty much grab anything as long as it’s ironed.
If I plan on riding my bike somewhere that day, I know I can’t wear one of the pencil skirts, which further helps when picking something out. I try to save the four dresses for special days, but sometimes I decide to wear one just for fun. Jeans I typically reserve for the weekends, just because. Now that it’s chillier, I’m likely to throw a cardigan or blazer on over whatever it is I’m wearing and I’ve started wearing opaques again on most days.
So far, I haven’t had any “ugh, I hate this outfit” issues, though I’m not so sure I like the grey pleated skirt, on the end of the photo above. Although it’s a neutral, it’s somewhat harder to style than the others and I don’t find myself reaching for it all that often. Plus, I tend to think I look wide in it, so it doesn’t make me feel that great about myself. It probably won’t make it into a capsule again.
I’ve noticed that I haven’t really been reaching for accessories lately. I’m not sure if that’s due to the capsule or not, or if I’ve just been lazy. Recently, I got my watch fixed, and that’s pretty much been all I’ve wearing. Maybe I’ll get back in the habit of throwing on a necklace to put the finishing touch on an outfit, but I haven’t been feeling it of late.
What’s going on in my capsule:
Top Picture, left to right:
- Outfit 1: Crinkle Gingham Shirt, J.Crew (similar, non-crinkle version); Skirt, BCBG (similar).
- Outfit 2: Telephone Peter Pan Collar Shirt, Boden; Sloan pencil skirt, Banana Republic.
- Outfit 3: Silk sleeveless blouse, Equipment (similar, similar); Merino Wool Cardigan, Gap; Alley Straight Jeans, Madewell (similar).
- Outfit 4: Non-iron sleeveless blouse, Banana Republic (similar, similar, but with sleeves); Navy Pleated Skirt, J.Crew.
Bottom Picture, left to right:
- Outfit 1: Holland Park dress, Boden; Tuxedo blazer, Boden (similar, similar).
- Outfit 2: Schoolboy blazer, J.Crew (similar); Silk sleeveless shirt, Everlane; Pencil Skirt, Anthropologie (similar (not really, but I like the pattern)).
- Outfit 3: Non-iron blouse, Banana Republic; Pleated skirt, J.Crew (similar); Ballet Flats, Banana Republic.